IT Infrastructure Automation Engineer
IC Engineering Inc. at Chevron in Houston, TX USA
Daily tasks by the Infrastructure Automation Engineer include building the Continuous Integration (CI) infrastructure, defining CI best practices, building the CI pipeline, and creating a test automation framework. This including working with tools such as Azure DevOps CI/CD Pipelines, ServiceNow, and Ansible.
The Infrastructure Automation Engineer focuses on implementing tools to build a robust platform for use by all development teams and guiding development and documenting automation standards for use by the organization. This platform includes CI pipelines, monitoring, storage and cloud maintenance tools. The role requires that the individual be a consensus builder that works to align systems engineering strategy and design with architectural guidelines, application strategy and business goals.
Our organization supports approximately 20 different technologies where manual service requests are performed today and the goal is to automate as much of those service requests as possible.
• Develop continuous integration, deployment, and test automation strategy.
• Develop strategic automation tools to improve project quality.
• Run automation projects and assessments.
• Serves as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in the automation stack.
• Evangelize, communicate and be a champion for the test automation vision and technology stack to the development teams.
• Act as a mentor for test automation resources, as well as provide training to test automation resources on testing strategies, standards, new tools and processes.
• Must be able to handle multiple automation projects.
• Actively participate in high-level team activities such as suggesting architecture. improvements, recommending process improvements and conducting tool evaluations.
• 8-10+ years’ experience in developing automated tests for web application, mobile application or REST APIs.
• Experience in Ansible module development in Python (automation configuration tool).
• Experience designing and building automation solutions (Custom or Pre-built).
• Experience coordinating with multiple project teams.
• Experience with CI tools (i.e. Azure DevOps/VSTS, Jenkins, TeamCity, Drone).
• Expert knowledge of multiple infrastructures technologies, hardware configuration tools (Puppet, Ansible, etc), Version Control (Git), network, storage, firewall, security. • Communication across multiple end users/stakeholders, team player.
• Infrastructure automation experience is very desirable!
• Performing software development, DevOps, or automation: 8 – 10 years required.
• BS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Mathematics or related.
• Preferred MS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Mathematics or related.
• In-person panel interview with manager and team members.
Notes from Manager:
-This is an ongoing support role.
-This team provides security for the enterprise and this role is to provide automation service delivery in the firewall space.
-Manager will consider candidate with Salt Module Development experience.
About us, IC Engineering is one of Chevron’s internal contracting groups. Over the last 25 years, Chevron has hired 50+ contractors to become permanent Chevron employees. IC currently has over 35 employees within the different Chevron operating companies worldwide.