Laboratory Technician (ESU)
Job Description: Operates complex distillation and process laboratory equipment maintaining round-the-clock operations under the direction of the supervisor/lead technician or operator.
Laboratory equipment includes large and small reactors, research units and distillation columns. Operating at elevated temperatures, high pressures as well as atmospheric and sub-atmospheric pressures.
Experience OR mechanical aptitude, highly trainable and top team player!
Full participation in Operational Excellence (OE) individually, on your crew and the ESU team.
Work schedule is either:
– DPST – 5/8 or 9/80 schedule. Rotating shifts (graveyard, days and swing), Monday through Friday with occasional weekend overtime *
– HPPC – 12-hour days rotating on a refinery operations schedule **
4. Operates process units, utility systems, and related equipment in accordance with the requests of research scientists and engineers with oversight of the supervisor or lead technician. Ensures equipment is properly inspected to detect any unsafe or improperly functioning equipment.
5. Follows the work of new experiments, new additions or changes to process units and house systems to assure adherence to safe work practices
6. Provides support in sample handling activities for research and crude assay samples for internal and external customers and other internal labs.
7. Meets OE objectives and milestones.
- Min: High School Diploma; Preferred: Associate degree, or equivalent in science, technology, mechanical/pipe fitting trade or related field
2. Must have Experience with:
– (Min 3+ yrs.) Plant and/or Lab Operations experience (plant equipment and maintenance) or mechanical background work
– Strong mechanical aptitude, process equipment and/or instrument technology
– OE for Labs
3. Prefer Experience with:
– ROP (Refinery Operator Program) or P-Tech (Process Technology) class at Los Medanos College – degree/experience/attendance
– Some knowledge of electrical systems
– Basic Excel and Word software
– Strong Communication & Chevron Way Behaviors
– Strong Commitment to OE in lab and office environments
– Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with key Chevron colleagues outside their immediate work group. – Chemicals, heavy oil and distillate research or related materials
* DPST is a 9/80 or 5/8 schedule: Monday through Friday – rotating 9-hour shifts (graveyard, days, swing) rotating every 3 weeks with occasional weekend overtime work
** HPPC is a 12-hour shift schedule (5:00 – 5:00) operating 365 days a year. A typical 28-day schedule: day shift – 4 nights on / 3 off / 3 days on / 1 off / 3 nights on / 3 off / 4 days on / 7 off